Restoration is now almost complete on this Victorian bathroom. It comprises of a large canopy bath, with a sitz bath, thunderbox WC and marble topped vanity unit, all with original mahogany panelling. Manufactured by Shanks & Co. in the 1890’s apart from the marble to on the washstand, which has been replaced, it is mostly original.
The bathroom was removed from a house in The Park Estate, Nottingham about 4 years ago. The house, ‘Redcliffe’ was built in 1897 for Frank Woodward a Nottingham lace merchant. The architect was Stockdale Harrison, most famous for the Usher Hall in Edinburgh.
The Park Estate in Nottingham consisted of 355 houses built between 1854 and 1918. The architect Thomas Chambers Hine was appointed to design most of the houses and to approve the others.
Redcliffe, The Park Estate, Nottingham.